I’m back again with ‘yet another’ cherry dessert. They are so good and plentiful this summer, and I want to make the most of this bumper cherry season. This week, I made some wonderful cherry yogurt popsicles. Popsicles are great on a hot summer’s day, but the ones you buy in stores tend to be full of sugar and colorings. These popsicles are made with fresh cherries, a little sugar (you could use honey instead) and lots of natural yogurt. They are fruity, cooling and delicious, and they only take minutes to make. They do need to stay the freezer for a few hours, but they are definitely worth the wait. You could experiment with lots of different summer fruits and make a whole rainbow colored selection of popsicles with beautiful natural fruit.
Makes 4 Popsicles
• 125g of pitted cherries
• 60ml of water
• 25g of sugar
• 400ml of yogurt
1. Begin by putting the pitted cherries, water and sugar into a small saucepan.
2. Heat over a medium to high heat for about five minutes, or just until the sugar has dissolved and the cherries have slightly softened.
3. Put the cherry mixture into a blender and blend until smooth.
4. Add the yogurt to the blended cherries and pulse for a few seconds to mix together.
5. Pour the cherry yogurt mix into the popsicles molds.
6. Place the popsicles into the freezer and leave to chill for at least 4 hours.
7. To unmold the popsicles, take them out of the freezer and leave to warm up for 5 minutes. Then wrap a warm cloth around the popsicles and slowly release them from the molds.