September is one of my favorite months, and all these years later I still feel grateful that I don’t have to go back to school, and can enjoy the last few days of sunshine without having to wear an itchy wool uniform. It’s been a beautiful week here in Washington, but the evenings are starting to close in and the mornings are getting darker. To brighten up those dark mornings I’m investing more time in breakfast. I love peanut butter and banana for breakfast, and I also love granola, so I wanted to combine all the taste and crunch in one easy breakfast granola. After a little tweaking I finally came up with the perfect nutty banana granola. It’s delicious on its own, or served with yogurt and fresh fruit. This granola is best made with over ripe bananas which have a great natural sweetness. It’s the perfect recipe to make if you have a banana in your fruit bowl that’s ready to walk out the door! For this recipe I also use crunchy peanut butter and roasted salted peanuts for extra nuttiness. It’s simple to make and a sweet and healthy start to any morning.
- 50mls of maple syrup
- 1 banana, mashed
- 2 tablespoons of canola oil/ peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons of crunchy peanut butter
- pinch of salt
- 160g of rolled oats
- 50g of roasted peanuts, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 F/ 180 C.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix all the wet ingredients (maple syrup, banana, oil and peanut butter) together in a large bowl.
- Add the oats and salt and stir well to combine.
- Pour the granola mixture onto the baking sheet, and break up into small clusters.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes. After the first ten minutes of cooking, remove and toss the granola to ensure even browning.
- Remove from the oven when golden brown and crisp.
- Stir in the chopped roasted peanuts when cool.