It’s the time of year for hot drinks and indulgent treats. If I am pushed for time, some Cadburys cocoa powder and hot milk will suffice. But, if I have a little more time to spare hot chocolate, made with real chocolate and a little whiskey is a real treat. I like to use bitter dark chocolate and full fat creamy milk for my perfect hot chocolate. To add a little sweetness, I finish with a home-made maple cocoa syrup and some freshly whipped cream, The whiskey is entirely optional, but a nice little winter warmer in the evening. You can also add a little Christmas spice if you like – I use nutmeg, but cinnamon and vanilla would also be delicious. So, if you need a little pick me up, this creamy hot chocolate will definitely put you in festive spirits.
Serves 2 normal sized cups / 4 espresso cups
- 500ml of milk
- 75g of chocolate, blitzed in a food processor or chopped into small pieces
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon of whiskey (optional)
- 2 tablespoons of cocoa
- 4 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons of whipped cream, to serve
- To make a the syrup, mix the cocoa and maple together in a small bowl until it forms a syrup
- Heat the milk and the nutmeg in a saucepan over a medium heat.
- As soon as the milk begins to boil remove it from the heat and add the chocolate
- Whisk/ stir well with a spoon until all the chocolate has melted.
- Add the whiskey, if you are using it.
- To serve, pour the hot chocolate into the cups.
- Top with whipped cream, and spoon some of the syrup on top.
- Garnish with a dusting of cocoa powder.