Before I moved to America I had never even heard of Peeps®. Now I know that people go crazy for them here, and they are one the most popular Easter candies in America. Peeps are essentially brightly colored chick and bunny shaped marshmallows dusted in sugar.
I must admit I’m not not a big fan of marshmallows – no offence Peeps 😉 but I do appreciate that they are the heralds of Easter here, much like Creme Eggs are in the UK and back home in Ireland. Peeps are so popular here that newspapers all across the states run Easter competitions looking for the most original dioramas created using Peeps. That is how much people like Peeps – they immortalize them in art.
So, even though I’ve missed my chance to enter a Peep diorama competition, I wanted to create a Peep inspired recipe for Easter. I bought some Peep cutters (yes, of course they have Peep cutters) and made some delicious Peep shaped mini Victoria sponges. They are spongy, creamy, and jammy and the perfect Easter dessert.
- 170g of salted butter
- 170g of white sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 170g of all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- A few drops of yellow coloring (optional)
- 75mls of whipped cream
- 75mls of jam (strawberry/ cherry or raspberry)
- 4 mini chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon of powdered sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 C / 350 F.
- Line a baking sheet (13 x 9 inches) with parchment paper.
- Using a stand mixer, cream together the butter and the sugar until it becomes light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the beaten eggs, beating well between each addition. Add the yellow food coloring if using.
- Add the flour and baking powder and mix just until combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes.
- To test if the cake is cooked, place a clean knife through the center.The knife should come out clean when it is fully cooked.
- Let the cake cool in the tin, then remove and place on a wire rack.
- Using a serrated knife, cut a thin layer off the top of the cake to ensure the cake is perfectly flat and even. It also gets rid of the crispy golden brown top to reveal the bright yellow cake inside.
- Using Peep cutters, cut out 8 peeps from the cake.
- Place 4 of the Peeps on a serving plate.
- Carefully spoon the jam and cream on top.
- Place the four remaining peeps on top.
- Insert the mini chocolate chip eyes.
- Dust the Peeps with a sprinkling of powdered sugar.