Barbecue season has well and truly started, and I thought I would share these quick and tasty chicken skewers. The chicken is marinated in some garlic, ginger, lime juice, coriander and soy sauce. The marinade and smoky barbecue flavor make these chicken skewers taste succulent and delicious.You could use the marinade for either a turkey breast or a chunky fish like tuna. You could serve these chicken skewers alone as finger food. Alternatively, you can make a meal of them and serve them with a noddle and vegetable salad, or vegetable kebabs, or a cous cous salad or even with flatbreads with yogurt and mint dressing. They are quick, simple and great barbecue fare.
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons of finely chopped ginger
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped coriander (cilantro for US readers!)
- 50 ml of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of lime juice
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- 3 -4 dashes of fish sauce
- 2 chicken breasts / 6 chicken tenders
- Mix the garlic, ginger, soy sauce, coriander, olive oil, lime juice, maple syrup and fish sauce in a large bowl.
- If you are using chicken breasts, slice each breast into three long strips, so that they will fit nicely onto the skewers. If you are using chicken tenders, you can leave them as is.
- Put the chicken strips into the marinade and cover the bowl with cling wrap.
- Leave the chicken to marinate for about 2 – 4 hours in the fridge.
- Once the chicken is marinated, place the chicken tenders on a skewer, and then on a preheated grill.
- Cook the chicken on either side. Test the meat is cooked using a meat thermometer.
- Serve with a noodle salad. This salad pictured here is simply some roasted pepper slices, garlic, ginger, soy sauce and some soba noodles.
- Serve with some wedges of lime and fresh coriander.