This salad is like summer on a plate. We recently took a visit to Lake Chelan in Eastern Washington, and it reminded me of the south of France as we drove by so many cherry orchards with glistening red cherries hanging from the trees. It’s well and truly cherry season here in Washington and I have been adding cherries to almost everything. Fresh cherries are a great addition to any cheese plate. They taste really good with a sharp cheese like a goat cheese or even a milder crumbly cheese like Feta. For this salad, I used some butter leaf and red leaf lettuce from our garden and some delicious peaches from Yakima Valley. For a little bit of crunch I added some toasted sunflower seeds. It is kind 0f a winning salad, because it looks good, tastes great and it’s super healthy too. This salad is my little celebration of summer in Washington.
•A handful of lettuce, washed and dried
• 1 peach, cut into slices
• 10 cherries, pitted and halved
• 25g of Feta Cheese
• 1 tablespoon of toasted sunflower seeds
• 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
• 1/2 teaspoon of honey
• ½ teaspoon of Dijon mustard
• 3 tablespoons of olive oil
• Salt and pepper, to taste
- Arrange the lettuce, peach slices and cherries on a serving plate. Scatter the feta cheese and sunflower seeds on top.
- To make the dressing, put the vinegar, honey and mustard into a small bowl and stir together with a fork or small hand whisk.
- Add the olive oil, and mix well until the dressing is emulsified.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Pour the dressing over the salad just before serving.