Courgettes or Zucchini, whatever you like to call them, are one of the easiest veggies to grow. The problem is when they start growing, it’s kind of hard to keep up with them. We have four plants in our garden, and they are monstrously big and producing at a rapid rate. Every day, I try to harvest as many as I can, but somehow I always seem to miss the marrows that are stealthily growing underneath the big leaves. I now have quite a collection of marrows, and no matter how I cook them they’re still not as good as small and sweet courgettes. I’m working on that marrow recipe though!
I have dabbled with lots of courgette recipes on the blog before (courgette chips, courgette fritters, courgette scones). This time, I am going with a real simple recipe, that’s so good as a starter, a side or even as a packed lunch. This recipe takes minutes to make, but it is so tasty and and delicious. The courgettes are simply grilled on the barbecue or on a griddle pan, then mixed with some lemon juice, olive oil, capers, Parmesan and fresh basil. The lemon and capers add a zesty twist to the sweet grilled courgettes. The Parmesan and basil add a nice Italian flavor. So, if you like me are battling with a glut of courgettes, and have a few minutes to spare, then this recipe is for you.
- 1 large courgette
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 tablespoon of capers
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons of olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon of freshly chopped basil
- Parmesan, to taste
- Top and tail the courgettes, and using a sharp knife, slice lengthways into thin strips.
- Brush the courgettes with the tablespoon of olive oil, and season with a little salt and pepper.
- Preheat a barbecue grill, or if you are cooking inside, preheat a griddle pan over over a high heat on the stove-top.
- Place the courgettes on the hot grill/ griddle and cook for a few minutes either side, to soften the courgettes and get those nice smoky grill marks.
- Once cooked, remove the courgettes from the pan and leave aside on a plate.
- Meanwhile, to make the dressing mix the lemon juice with the olive oil.
- Season the dressing with a little salt and pepper.
- Arrange the grilled courgettes in a serving dish.
- Pour the dressing over the courgettes, followed by the capers and fresh basil.
- Finish, by sprinkling some freshly grated Parmesan on top.
- This dish can be served warm or cold. It can be served as a side, and it’s also great served with pasta too!