We are just back from a balmy sun holiday, and I am feeling full of energy and happy to be back in the kitchen. As much as I love eating out on vacation, by the end of it I begin to crave some home cooking. In the week we were gone, our garden hit a growth spurt, and we have lots of potatoes, courgettes, tomatoes, berries, and overgrown lettuce trees (even the rabbits are intimidated by them). Stay tuned for lots of new courgette and tomato recipes 😉
This snack is simple, healthy, and so delicious. If you are throwing a barbecue this summer, this is a great appetizer to whip up just before the guests arrive. These tender sweet potatoes are coated in cumin flavored oil, and grilled for a few minutes. I then serve them with some home-made yogurt, garlic and herb dip. This dish is so easy to make, and so much better than boring chips and store bought dips. It also means your grill is perfectly preheated, and ready for grilling once your guest arrive. Serve with a refreshing cocktail such as this Lemonade Gin and Tonic or this wonderful Paloma.
- 100mls of natural yogurt
- 1 large clove of garlic, crushed
- 3/4 tablespoon of chopped chives
- 3/4 tablespoon of chopped cilantro
- salt and pepper
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cumin
- salt and pepper
- extra coriander for garnish
- To make the dip, mix all the ingredients together in a bowl, and chill before serving. You may want to add extra or less garlic depending on how garlicy you like it.
- Cut the sweet potato into thin wedges.
- Place the wedges in a saucepan of cold water.
- Bring to the boil, and allow the wedges to boil for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the wedges from the water and place in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix the olive oil, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Add the flavored oil to the wedges ensuring each wedge is well coated with oil.
- Heat the grill/BBQ to medium high heat.
- Place the wedges on the grill for a a few minutes. Turn and cook on both sides until they are crisp.
- Serve the wedges with some chopped cilantro and dip.